Off-grid? Tiny house? Eco-cabin? You CAN do it. I am living proof.
Hi, I'm Colette Kenny
This is my Story
I am a seventh-generation homesteader with dirt beneath my fingernails and farming in my blood. Although I grew up in the big city, in my childhood I always spent time on our family farm, connecting with the animals and spending time alone in nature. I always knew I would return to my country roots. I am now living the life I always dreamt of, deeply connected to nature.
I lived completely off-grid in a tiny house I designed for five years while saving to buy my land. Then, I designed an 18 by 24 foot eco-cabin, a first in our township. I have done a great deal of the construction myself, with no prior experience!
Here are some of the other experiences and knowledge I can share with you. In all things, I try to make my own health and lifestyle an example of the Half-Acre Homestead journey:
- I am 52 years young, in perfect health, taking no prescription medications. More than one of my doctors has told me my body is at least 10 years younger than my actual age!!
- I work off the homestead, milking 250 cows on a local farm and can out shovel youngsters less than half my age. I thrive on this physical activity and absolutely love the cows.
I also offer the following to our Half-Acre Homestead Community:
- Years of experience gardening, in the big city, small towns, and out in the country
- Tons of experience in food preservation, including some of the old, trusted farm methods for preserving food without electricity
- A long-held passion for natural medicines and herbalism, including wildcrafting remedies and teas
- Sustainable and small/tiny home experience that goes back over 20 years. I have designed three tiny/small homes and lived in three: my trailer home (8 by 24 feet), my tiny home on wheels (8 by 24 feet) and my current eco-cabin (18 by 24 feet).
- Decades of experience as a professional researcher and writer
- Decades of experience teaching, mainly in adult education, including being part of a team that won a Canadian national teaching award.
I would like to share my journey and the skills I've learned along the way with you. Off-grid living, herbal medicines, organic gardening: it's all here. What are you dreaming of doing yourself? Please click on my Contact tab to get in touch with me and let me know how I can support your own journey towards self-sufficiency.
Want to be more self-sufficient? Enjoy better health? Have more peace in your life?
Find the resources that are right for you.
Get resources, motivation, and guided activities delivered to your inbox: